||200 mg, 100 mg, 50 mg
Fioricet – Innovative Pain Reliever
Fioricet is a time-tested medication that consists of Butalbital, Caffeine and Acetaminophen as active ingredients. Each component produces a definite impact on the organism, forming the final ultimate effect. Butalbital belongs to a group of barbiturates that relax the muscles involved in tension headache. Caffeine serves a powerful stimulant of the central nervous system. It works relaxing muscle contractions of the blood vessels, improving the blood flow. Acetaminophen is a revolutionary fever reducer and pain reliever.
Considering the powerful triple effect of the medication, it is commonly prescribed to improve tension headaches caused by muscle contractions and related conditions. Additionally, your healthcare provider can recommend the treatment to improve other issues.
Fioricet Contraindications and Precautions
Producing a drastic impact on important body functions, the medication should be administered with exclusive caution. Do not take Fioricet within 14 days after MAO inhibitor treatment. Such a combination may lead to dangerous side effects and condition aggravation. MAO inhibitors that interact with Fioricet include selegiline, tranylcypromine, isocarboxazid, rasagiline, Linezolid, phenelzine and others.
Never start the medication course if you are allergic to the active ingredient of the pharmaceutical. Additionally, ask your doctor if Fioricet is safe with certain medical conditions, especially the following:
- Alcohol or drug abuse;
- Stomach ulcers, bleeding;
- Liver disorders;
- Kidney diseases;
- Skin rashes caused by pills;
- Sleep apnea, asthma or other breathing problems;
- Psychical or mental illnesses, etc.
Since the medication can affect the health of an unborn or nursing child, its use should be eliminated by pregnant and breastfeeding women. Do not pass the drug to other patients with similar symptoms without doctor’s recommendations.
Tell your healthcare provider about other medications and herbal products you are taking to prevent possible interactions. Fioricet is reported to interact with sedatives, narcotic pain drugs, tranquilizers, MAO inhibitors, blood clots medicines and others.
Fioricet Dosing Information and Possible Side Effects
Ask your doctor to prescribe a correct dose that will be both safe and powerful enough for the necessary effect. The average Fioricet dose will depend on the health of the patient and severity of his/her condition. The average dose varies:
- 300 mg, 50 mg, 40 mg Acetaminophen, Butalbital and Caffeine respectively each 4 hours, only when necessary. The maximal dose: 12 capsules a day;
- 325 mg, 50 mg, 40 mg Acetaminophen, Butalbital and Caffeine respectively, orally every 4 hours. The maximal dose a day: 6;
- 500 mg, 50 mg, 40 mg Acetaminophen, Butalbital and Caffeine respectively, 1 tablet each 4 hours. Maximal dose: 6 tablets a day;
- 750 mg, 50 mg, 40 mg Acetaminophen, Butalbital and Caffeine respectively – maximum 5 doses a day.
Seek immediate medical assistance once you have noticed any symptoms of Fioricet overuse or misuse.