Modafinil – Innovative Medication to Promote Wakefulness
Modafinil is a revolutionary, time-tested and approved medication that is potent to promote wakefulness. The drug is used to improve excess sleepiness caused by numerous health problems, such as narcolepsy, sleep apnea, shift work disorder, etc. Additionally, Modafinil can be used off-label to treat other disorders and conditions.
Safety Modafinil Issues: Precautions, Contraindications, Recommendations for Use
Modafinil serves a potent medication, so it should be taken only after doctor’s recommendation. Do not administer the drug if you are allergic to its active component or similar medications. Talk to your doctor about other health problems you have before using Modafinil. Discuss the safety level of the treatment course with the following conditions:
- Chest pain;
- Kidney disorders;
- Liver issues, including cirrhosis and others;
- Psychosis or history of any mental disease;
- Heart problems, high blood pressure, history of stroke, heart attack or related conditions, etc.
Eliminate Modafinil intake if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. The active ingredients of the medication can harm a nursing or unborn child. Modafinil should not be used by anyone under 17 years old.
Ask your doctor to prescribe proper Modafinil dose to both improve the condition you have and keep your health protected. The medication dose is recommended based on certain factors, including the severity of your condition, other health disorders you have, supplementary treatments you take, etc. Provide your healthcare specialist with all these details to ensure safe medication intake.
An average Modafinil dose may also vary depending on the condition you want to treat:
- Narcolepsy – 200 mg Modafinil should be taken once a day, preferably in the morning;
- Shift work sleep disorder – 200 mg medication an hour before the work shift. The drug should be taken once a day;
- Hypopnea syndrome or sleep apnea – 200 mg in the morning.
Medication Misuse and Its Consequences
Modafinil serves an effective medication that produces a drastic impact on the organism. The effect may be either positive or negative, depending on the patient’s following the safety rules and instructions. Modafinil, as any other medication, can cause minor side effects that will soon disappear. The most frequently reported of them are:
- Dizziness, drowsiness, headache;
- Stuffy nose;
- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and other stomach problems;
- Back pain;
- Anxiety, irritation, depression, nervousness.
Call your doctor in case these symptoms aggravate and start bothering you. Seek immediate medical help once severe complications have occurred, including the following:
- Serious allergic reactions;
- Fever, breathing problems;
- Skin rashes and blisters;
- Swelling of different body parts;
- Depression, hallucinations, aggression;
- Severe chest pain, uneven heart rate;
- Sudden mood changes;
- Urination disorders and others.